[ltp] cpu frequency scaling governor "ondemand" on ThinkPad T23

FeRD linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 29 Jul 2005 10:52:31 -0400

Robert Svoboda wrote:

>* Martin Steigerwald <Martin@lichtvoll.de> [2005-07-16 12:20]:
>
>>root@deepdance:/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq ->
>>  cat scaling_available_frequencies
>>1130500 731500
>>

>  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>  these numbers look strange (might be due to your setup),
>  mine look like this:
>
># cat scaling_available_frequencies
>600000 800000 1000000 1200000 1400000
>
>I have ondemand governor compiled in kernel, not as module,
>that's the only difference I can see.

I think you're just seeing a difference in Frequency Scaling support
between your model of ThinkPad and older units -- my T22 (1.0GHz P3)
gives "available_frequencies' as 1000000 and 700000, which is equivalent
to what Martin's seeing. Seems scaling was simply less robust/flexible
in the T2x series. :(

(If I'm wrong and anyone knows how to convince a T2x ThinkPad to scale
to anything other than 70% using cpufreq, please tell us how!) *grin*

-FeRD

P.S> Note that ACPI throttling supports the full range from 100% down to
12%, but throttling isn't meant to be a demand-based, realtime thing.
Tho I did find it helps keep my machine from turning into a
thermonuclear device to have an ACPI lid-switch action set the throttle
down a bit below 100% whenever I close the lid with the system running. :)