[ltp] Re: advice on Linux distribution for A20M (2628)

Rolf Leggewie linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 31 Jul 2005 12:04:33 +0200

Daniel Pittman wrote:

>>Give Debian Woody (3.0) a try.It should do what you want.

> I strongly advise against this.

AOL.

> Running the default GNOME or KDE desktops /might/ be slower than the OP
> wanted on that hardware, but I doubt it.  If that does prove to be the
> case, selecting less resource hungry software on a modern distribution
> is a better solution

Like XFCE or Icewm w/o Gnome.  There are one or two others which are
light on ressources but they are not yet so wide spread in use.  "light
window manager"@google should give you results.  Also you should
deactivate unnecessary eye candy in the window manager.

IMO it is not so much CPU power but RAM that counts. 128MB RAM can be
tight.  Anything above that and you will generally be fine.

@OP: This is not a question about distro but what you install and not
install out of that distro.  That being said, I generally think debian
is an awesome distribution but others say there are easier ones for the
novice.