[ltp] Stopping Synaptics Touchpad Gesture Control

Christopher Sawtell linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 07 Jun 2005 00:14:17 +1200

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 17:19, Michael B Allen wrote:
> How can I disable the gesture control of the Synaptics touchpad?
>
> I have tried disabling many options in the xorg.conf and with synclient but
> they neither appear to have any effect on anything. In the X server log I
> see the synaptics device is found and the options are being set but at the
> end I see "Synaptics DeviceOff called" which leads me to believe that maybe
> the driver is being overridden and the builtin defaults are taking over.
> I'm clueless.
>
> Does anyone know how to stop all of the scrolling and gesture control? It's
> driving me nuts!
Remove, or preferably comment out, with a leading '#', the entire section to
configure it from the config file in /etc/X11/
(You do not way if you are using XFree or Xorg). The section starts:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier    "Synaptics Mouse"
        Driver        "synaptics"
        Option        "Device"        "/dev/psaux"
.
.
EndSection

Also remove the line:
        Load  "synaptics"
from the module section.
Also
        InputDevice    "Synaptics Mouse"  "AlwaysCore"
from the ServerLayout section

That will without doubt stop the track-pad working completely.
( That is what you want to do isn't it? )
If you want the cursor movement to stay alive then just comment out the
InpuDevice section.

P. S. I have not tried it, but that shouold work ok.

--
C. S.