[ltp] Why do you love your ThinkPad?

Matthias Posseldt linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 7 Jun 2005 20:19:54 +0200

On Tuesday 07 June 2005 18:42, Charles E Taylor IV wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 14:18:15 +0200
> Matthias Posseldt <matthi@gmx.li> wrote:
> > - Linux support: Anything besides TV out works
>
> True only on some Thinkpads.  Modem drivers in particular cause
> trouble, since IBM's sometimes put in 3COM paperweights.  Graphics
> drivers are also a sore point, especially for folks who use
> suspend/resume a lot.  In this respect, I couldn't honestly say IBM
> has a leg up on the other major brands.

Two friends of mine each have a Toshiba X10, and you could think that if
one has little problems with something, the other should also. But one
of them (and only one of them, unfortunately he's the one who wants to
use linux) cannot resume his notebook after suspend, not even when
closing X or similar. My A30p has no problems at all with suspending.
And I really often suspend this machine (90 days uptime and suspending
every day ... this baby is sleeping very quietly).

> > - Stability: There are no problems with the hardware as it seems
>
>  ... unless you want power management. :)

It works for me (tm) :-)

> That's another IBM plus, actuaqlly.  Most of their notebooks have the
> three mouse buttons, and the ones that don't have the buttons close
> enough so that you can use emulate3buttons easily.

Yep, the three mouse buttons are really good.

> I've got two Thinkpads with Thinklights and I still haven't really
> found a use for the lights yet, other than scaring the cat. :)

Some freaks will say: You can use your TP even if your girl friends
wants the lights off when sleeping ...

> BTW - the volume buttons on other notebooks MIGHT send ACPI events,
> which can be programmed to adjust volume.  So it's probably not
> hopeless if you DO have a non-IBM notebook.

Ok, but someone has to find the right ACPI codes and then has to find a
way to set the hardware mixer (which is different from the ALSA/OSS
mixer).

> > The things I'm missing:
> > - USB2
> > - better battery (only runs for about an hour)
>
> Does laptop-mode help with battery life?  An hour sounds awfully
> short unless you're running at full-speed all the time or the battery
> needs to be replaced.

No, the A30p is not a very mobile notebook at all. I'm running it at 800
MHz (P3M with 1.2 GHz) and somewhat dimmed display when on battery, but
not fully dimmed (you can only use that when it is really dark). Even
with a new battery it only lasted for 1h45m.

> > - It could be lighter, as it weights about 3.x kg
>
> Get an X series! :)

Maybe I'm buying a new TP in one or two years. For now this is perfectly
fine! But, if you have some spare money ... ;-)

Regards,
Matthias

P.S. Unfortunately even IBM does not release more driver information or
information on how to use all of their TP hardware with Linux. They
could do better!

--
There is still the danger of EU software patents!

http://swpat.ffii.org/