[ltp] Why do you love your ThinkPad?

Charles E Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 7 Jun 2005 21:09:34 -0400

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 10:34:53 -0700 (MST)
Mendel Cooper <thegrendel@theriver.com> wrote:

> When the 760-series keyboards are new, they're not so bad. After about
> a year of use, they deteriorate badly. The solution is to buy a new
> keyboard every year from eBay (cheap).

I had a 760XD. It would have been a great Linux laptop (even had an XGA
screen which looked GREAT especially considering its age), except for the
keyboard issue and the fact that the audio / modem weren't sdupported at
all under Linux.  (You could listen to CDs and the system beep - that was
all...)

The 760XD was my first Thinkpad.  Replaced it with a 380XD.  The screen
(SVGA) wasn't as good as the 760XD's, but the sound worked and the
keyboard was top-notch.  Pulled the 380XD out of the closet just a
minute ago and it booted right up (into Red Hat 9).  I'm actually
surprised that the CMOS battery's still alive, but I'm not surprised the
Thinkpad itself is.:)

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek@mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry instructor / Mad scientist / Linux enthusiast!
*  Web: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/