[ltp] Reboot filesystem corruption

Jeffrey L. Taylor linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 7 Jun 2005 14:13:34 -0500

Quoting Jeffrey L. Taylor <linux-tp@austinblues.dyndns.org>:
> If I reboot or shutdown and boot, the filesystem is corrupted and boot
> stalls midway thru starting up services.  Suspsend to swap and resume
> does not have this problem.  Booting the rescue disk and running fsck
> on both root and home partition (ext3 and ReiserFS, respectively)
> fixes the problem.  It is fairly consistent when it stalls if I try
> booting again.  But when changes after FS repair.  fscking the root
> partion alone is not sufficient.  fscking both partitions works.
>
> IBM T41 ThinkPad.  SuSE 9.2.
>
> Has anyone seen anything like this and have a solution?

Some more digging.  The builtin hard disk and SMART both indicate no
problems with hard drive though the built in (Access IBM) tests
indicate problems with the CD/DVD drive.  The right hand side where my
palm rests is noticeable warmer (maybe it has always been warmer, but
now that there are problems, I am noticing ;).  Is there are way to
monitor the hard drive temperature?  Do the read/write and
read/verify builtin tests preserve data?

TIA,
  Jeffrey