[ltp] CD-ROM speed

ben linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 8 Jun 2005 12:56:43 -0600

I have an R40, 2897gwu.  In the BIOS, there's an option under Power
called "CD-ROM speed", with options of something like "High",
"Normal", and "Silent".

"Silent" does in fact operate the DVD drive silently.  Since I don't
own a TV let alone a DVD player, I use this for watching movies, and
"Silent" is very nice.

Is there any way to control that without rebooting?

Current problem (and reason to think that the answer to the above
question is Yes): when I first boot the computer, the DVD drive is in
Silent mode, as specified by the BIOS.  When I suspend the machine to
RAM (ACPI, kernel 2.6.11.3) and re-awaken it, the drive reverts to one
of the louder modes (not sure which).  I don't have to enter the BIOS
interface again, since it's still set to Silent, but the only way to
make the DVD read silently again is to reboot.

Any ideas or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!
-Ben

--
Ben Pearre          http://hebb.mit.edu/~ben       PGP: CFDA6CDA