[ltp] vbetool vga heat/fan problem - a solution ?

Nikias Bassen linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 8 Jun 2005 20:03:42 +0200

Hi everybody,

I recently read in the archives somewhere that there's a problem
with hot vga chipset after using vbetool. I have a t41p and it's
exactly the same. Using ibm-acpi 0.11, you can watch the vga temp
(4th value). An in fact, it is rising after using vbetool (vbestate restore).
Now I hacked a bit and found out, that if I start a second X server
on another display with fglrx and dri disabled (I configured
another ServerLayout with that in my xorg.conf), then the temperature
falls again. And so the fan also stops blowing again!
I only do not know, if the power consumption is still higher than before
using vbetool. Anyone there who wants to test power consumption with
this "hack"?

Greetings,
Nikias