[ltp] Why do you love your ThinkPad?

Hamish Marson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 09 Jun 2005 13:40:45 +0100

On Monday 06 June 2005 09:35 pm, Paul Cuciureanu wrote:

>> .. let's assume for a second, each of us is one of those people
>> that keep ranting on forever about their computers, etc..
>>
>> Why do you Love your ThinkPad?

Ah yes... Love my thinkpad(s)...

770X... 1280x1024 display at the time everyone else had 1024x768 or
even 800x600. Built like a brick shithouse. Id still have it today if
some bastard hadn't stolen it from my car back in August 2000 (If
anyone sees a black BMW 3 series reg B 578 FWJ in the UK let me know).

A20p 1400x1050 LCD... Even better than the 770x display, but maybe not
quite as robust. I've still got this one, although it doesn't work on
your lap any more due to a crackin the case causes the thing to lock
up at random times when you move... It's still good for a desktop though.

r50p. 1600x1200 LCD... Even better than the a20p display. This is just
gorgeous. I've not come across a display as nice as this one.

All of them are very robust. The cracked case is (I believe) due to a
(Very) rough plane ride. It was out of warrenty at the time, so I just
bought a new one. It was a good excuse to keep buying new thinkpads...
Not that I'd need one...

Would I buy a thinkpad again? Like a shot! In fact if I could find a
reasonable priced a20p or 22p with a broken lcd, I'd buy it & move my
1400x1050 LCD onto it & have another laptop again...

[Oh. Then there's the thinkpads I had prior to that... A 700 (black &
white LCD) in the early 90's, and a 760 in the mid 90's... Not mine,
they belonged to work. All apart from the 700 were great. The 700 was
MCA... Enough said really (No Linux at the time :)... But it worked
with OS/2 ok...]