[ltp] Why do you love your ThinkPad?

Michelle Klein-Hass linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 12 Jun 2005 10:35:33 -0700

On Saturday 11 June 2005 05:13 pm, Eric Van Buggenhaut wrote:

> > I love my ThinkPad. Hopefully I'll be able to afford a pre-Lenovo Pentium
> > M ThinkPad in a couple more years. Then again, Apple's announcement of
> > Macs with Intel Inside (R) makes the future look pretty wild. MacOS X,
> > x86 Linux and Windows on the same laptop? Sounds like heaven to me. Where
> > do I sign up???? ^_^
>
> Apple plans to ship a new Mac with Intel processor yes, but they've
> already announced that this new cpu won't be compatible with other
> Intel platforms. They really suck, what you describe won't be
> possible, I'm afraid.

First I've heard of that. In regards to MacOS X x86 booting on non-Apple
hardware, any scheme that Apple will be using will be in *software* and
therefore is fair game for the 'l33t h4x0rz out there. X Post Facto has been
reliably allowing "forbidden" versions of X to boot on officially unsupported
Macs for years. I could have installed Tiger on my iBook 300 but because of
having to deal with Woodbury University IT Department I figure I'll run that
on Panther forever. (no Macs without onboard Firewire can install Tiger
without the X Post Facto hack)

In regards to Apple x86 machines not booting Windows or being able to run
Windows in some sort of virtualization...again, another crock. Apple has
actually been dropping hints that a WINE-based "Windows on Mac" will be one
of their projects in bringing MacOS X to x86. They won't say anything
official-official about it, but officially-unofficial it's a go. Also
Microsoft could do it themselves with either Connectix-acquired technology,
or a WINE fork, or a totally home-grown virtualization solution. And there is
always VMWare, which is probably looking at MacOS X x86 and licking their
chops.

A ThinkPad dual-booting would be my first choice, especially if Lenovo can
keep the quality up on ThinkPads. A MacIntel would be second choice, probably
a MacIntel iBook. Third choice would be a MacIntel mini.

Yes, I am multi-platform. Gonna miss PPC...it is really a nice platform for
both Mac and Linux. IBM is going to live to regret jerking Apple around about
faster/cooler G5s, although their game box business from all three of the
gaming console companies might soothe their bruises over the breakup of the
Apple-IBM-Mot (Freescale) partnership.

Take care,
Michelle
--