[ltp] Re: New ati-drivers out there

Theodore Ts'o linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 15 Jun 2005 12:38:40 -0400

On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 09:05:30AM -0600, Alejandro Bonilla wrote:

> 	I encourage everyone that think or want to give IBM feedback about the
> adapters they incorporate as their video cards... To send an email to
> askibm@vnet.ibm.com to Ask IBM to please use nvidia cards or tell ATI to
> make better video drivers.

My understanding is that Nvidia is *worse* because they don't release
any information about their cards.  So while the x.org driver may not
completely handle suspend yet, at least there are some hacks/kernel
patches around that allow it to sort-of-work.  So there is hope.  In
time, the situation will get better.

But in the case of Nvidia, their policy is not to release any
information about their chipsets, which means there is no hope
whatsoever, short of using their propietary drivers.  (And if you use
their propietary drivers, *when* not *if* it crashes your system and
corrupts your data, the kernel developers on LKML will just laugh at
you, because it is a propietary driver.  Nvidia's history of writing
drivers with memory bugs that corrupt random kernel drivers is quite
sorry, and in fact Nvidia is almost solely responsible for the kernel
"taint" flag when a propietary driver is loaded, flagging the kernel
oops messages so the LKML developers can know not to waste their time,
and tell you to complain to Nvidia instead.)

							- Ted