[ltp] Re: New ati-drivers out there

Wookey linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 15 Jun 2005 19:53:32 +0100

+++ Alejandro Bonilla [05-06-15 12:36 -0600]:

> I don't give crap if the driver is closed source, but if it works, I'm
> happy. Nvidia driver works like a beauty for me.

OK, but many of us do care if it's closed source or not. The supplied binary
Nvidia drivers are no use on my arm-based machines for example, and I'm sure
you are aware of a load of other reasons why closed drivers are bad. Asking
IBM to change from a not-very open supplier to a totally closed one will do
us no good in the long term. Indeed we should be asking them to stick with
the most open hardware available - the fact that most of their hardware
_does_ have specs availabe and thus decent free support is a big part of the
reason why many of us choose their hardware.

Wookey