[ltp] No "hardware" Dvorak reconfiguration possible with Thinkpads

Mark Carroll linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 22 Jun 2005 17:54:06 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005, David A. Desrosiers wrote:

> > the last I looked, Linux doesn't make it easy to give different
> > keyboard different keymaps so that you don't have to "switch
> > between" them in software somehow.
(snip)
> 	I use xmodmap and two keymaps to go from QWERTY to Dvorak with
> just a mouse click (I specifically tied it to the mouse in X in case I
> forget which one I'm on and can't open a shell and type xmodmap to
> reload the right one. I'm still learning Dvorak, and until I get
> proficient, this is the quickest way).
>
> 	In console, I just load 'loadkeys dvorak' at bootup.

That sounds like "in software" to me! Some context may help: at work, I
have computer stuff strewn across my desk, plugged into my open R40 which
serves as an extra keyboard. I'm often working on the floor assembling new
computers and whatever, so where I am in relation to my desk varies. And,
I can switch without a thought between qwerty and dvorak, because I use
dvorak when I can but I provide tech support to qwerty users. At the
moment, I usually have two keyboards handy (sometimes my R40 and an
external keyboard) so that one of them is always within reach to be
grabbed and used from the floor or whatever, and I know that it should be
technically possible, were X's input model better-arranged, for the
keyboard that happens to be within reach this minute to always have the
correct mapping.

Sure, I could also have multiple mice within reach, or an IR mouse I keep
with me as I work in the area around my desk, but I figure that's less
trouble than just having all qwerty keyboards around for now: I like being
able to grab the nearest without having to think about if it needs
switched or not, and when I do want to type something it may not be at a
shell prompt or with a mouse nearby.

-- Mark