[ltp] No "hardware" Dvorak reconfiguration possible with Thinkpads

David A. Desrosiers linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 22 Jun 2005 12:06:31 -0400 (EDT)

> the last I looked, Linux doesn't make it easy to give different
> keyboard different keymaps so that you don't have to "switch
> between" them in software somehow.

	I'm not sure what you mean here, its ridiculously simple to
switch keyboard layouts in Linux.

	I use xmodmap and two keymaps to go from QWERTY to Dvorak with
just a mouse click (I specifically tied it to the mouse in X in case I
forget which one I'm on and can't open a shell and type xmodmap to
reload the right one. I'm still learning Dvorak, and until I get
proficient, this is the quickest way).

	In console, I just load 'loadkeys dvorak' at bootup.

David A. Desrosiers
desrod@gnu-designs.com
http://gnu-designs.com