[ltp] R51: X.org installed, dual-head still does not work

Tue, 1 Mar 2005 12:53:31 -0500

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 18:20:27 -0500, Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I followed the instructions
> posted for example
> http://incubator.vislab.usyd.edu.au
> /roller/comments/Steve/Weblog/installing_a_non_intrusive_x
> and installed the X.org server.
>
> Now I also used xorgcfg. This program indentified my card as a
>
> Section "Device"
>
>         Identifier  "Card0"
>         Driver      "i810"
>         VendorName  "Intel Corp."
>         BoardName   "82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device"
>         BusID       "PCI:0:2:0"
> EndSection
>
> So I added the lines
>         Option "MonitorLayout" "CRT,CRT"

this line should probably be:
         Option "MonitorLayout" "LFP,CRT"
or:
         Option "MonitorLayout" "CRT,LFP"

you might also want to try Alan's latest i810 driver here:
http://www.fairlite.demon.co.uk/intel.html

>         Option "Clone" "true"
>         Option "CloneMode" "1024x768"
>
> And started  the  xserver with an  external  monitor connected, but it
> *did* not work. Using again the infamous "fn f7" to switch the screen,
> this  produced: a  blank  LCD screen and   a  distored display on  the
> external screen (a LCD screen but this, I think, does not matter).
>
> So a last question, I am confused about the driver, because on the one
> hand there  is a i810 driver in   the kernel module  library, but then
> X.org itself seems to ship  a driver or just  a interface to  interact
> with the driver? If it is the latter then I am forced to conclude that
> under the given circumstances I *cannot* have a decent dual
> presentation, LCD beamer.

the i810_drv.o (or i810_drv.so) in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers are
the only thing you need to worry about for 2d and multi-head.  the
i810 and i915 kernel drm modules are only needed for 3d accel.