[ltp] R51: X.org installed, dual-head still does not work

Uwe Brauer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 01 Mar 2005 18:20:27 -0500

Hello

I followed the instructions
posted for example
http://incubator.vislab.usyd.edu.au
/roller/comments/Steve/Weblog/installing_a_non_intrusive_x
and installed the X.org server.

Now I also used xorgcfg. This program indentified my card as a

Section "Device"

	Identifier  "Card0"
	Driver      "i810"
	VendorName  "Intel Corp."
	BoardName   "82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device"
	BusID       "PCI:0:2:0"
EndSection

So I added the lines
        Option "MonitorLayout" "CRT,CRT"
        Option "Clone" "true"
        Option "CloneMode" "1024x768"

And started  the  xserver with an  external  monitor connected, but it
*did* not work. Using again the infamous "fn f7" to switch the screen,
this  produced: a  blank  LCD screen and   a  distored display on  the
external screen (a LCD screen but this, I think, does not matter).

So a last question, I am confused about the driver, because on the one
hand there  is a i810 driver in   the kernel module  library, but then
X.org itself seems to ship  a driver or just  a interface to  interact
with the driver? If it is the latter then I am forced to conclude that
under the given circumstances I *cannot* have a decent dual
presentation, LCD beamer.

This would be really awful.

Any comment and help is strongly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Uwe Brauer

PS sad that this works in XP, sad that it works for the inferior
R40(e) model, which has no ACPI support and no CD writer, but a
superior Video card.