[ltp] A21e 2628-J1G

James McKenzie linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 09 Mar 2005 07:56:39 -0700

Marco Gaiarin wrote:

>A friend asked me to install on his thinkpad (as subject) linux, and
>i will install ubuntu.
>
>There's something that i must know before start installing? The A21e
>have sufficient ACPI support to handle all flavour of
>suspend/standby/hybernate or i have to keep a dos partition to handle
>hybernate, as in my 600e?
>Better to use apm/tpctl/apmiser or acpi? Better to update bios to
>latest?
>
>Sorry for the question, but the link on a21e of linux-laptop.org are
>dangling, google say me nothing usefoul and also the bios download page
>on ibm:
>
>	http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/license.do?filename=mobiles/spsdku36.exe
>
>does not work, tested with firefox and ie6.
>

>Many thanks.

You have to look at the BIOS date.  If the installed BIOS or any
available updates are after 2001, ACPI SHOULD work.  However, I found
that APM worked better (suspend problems) than ACPI on my A22p.  Most
recent kernels are built without APM support.  Ubuntu should work fine
on the A21e.  You will have to try ACPI and APM with the system.  I
suggest making a FAT partition of the appropriate size (you do not need
to install an operating system on it, just use a bootable disk with the
PS2 program installed on it) and make a hibernation file on that
partition.  If you find ACPI acceptable, you can always remove the
partition and use if for some purpose.

James McKenzie