[ltp] Success on suspend for ThinkPad T23!!! - Kernel 2.6.10 and more so 2.6.11 rocks the house

Martin Steigerwald linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 11 Mar 2005 22:45:29 +0100

Hello,

I now compiled a kernel 2.6.10 and then a kernel 2.6.11 from kernel.org
based on the config file from Michael Perry. Thanks Michael for your
help.

I enabled suspend to disk, isdn4linux with AVM and Teles PCMCIA cards,
XFS, cpu frequency scaling, UDF filesystem, framebuffer console support
and some other goodies. But this time I didn't insist on building an
initrd image, but compiled everything required to boot statically.

I applied ACPI patches from 2004-03-09.

Well and it works. More than ever:

1) suspend to ram works

2) suspend to disks works finally. Michael, this was not enabled in your
config file. I enabled it.

3) there is no clock drift with 2.6.11, but there is clock drift with
2.6.10 even when CONFIG_X86_PM_TIMER is set. Hmmm, I have
CONFIG_X86_PM_TIMER=y also for the 2.6.11 image. I think I will try with
setting it to no in the next days.

4) my Mercury PCMCIA USB 2.0 (NEC chipset) controller works properly after
suspend

BTW I used KDE laptop daemon stuff in the kicker bar to initiate the
actual suspend process. I did not fiddle with ACPI suspend scripts yet.

Here is still some things that do not yet fully work:

1) ALSA sound is quiet after suspend. "/etc/init.d/alsa restart" restores
it so that I can hear it again. Michael, you told me it works out of the
box after suspend on your setup, didn't you? I wonder what might be the
difference.

2) The AVM Fritzcard A1 PCMCIA does not work after suspend. Pulling it out
and plugging it back in and a "/etc/init.d/isdn restart" makes it
functional again.  (I don't use isdnutils but RedHat's GUI based
isdn-config that Klaus Knopper ported to Knoppix.)

3) Console framebuffer support doesn't survive a suspend. When I switch to
console after suspend I get graphics garbage. I can not see a cursor or
any text. Omitting the "vga=" parameter from GRUB and thus using standard
console does work however.

Issue 1 and 2 should be solvable by the right ACPI scripts (that hopefully
integrate well with KDE's ACPI support). Issue 3 isn't that important to
me.

Well I am quite satisfied.

Next thing would be to try with 2.6.11.2 or whatever is the most recent
stable patch for 2.6.11 beginning of next week. And reporting the
remaining problems to bugzilla at kernel.org or ACPI at sourceforge.net

Thanks for all the help. At last I got it working! I am willing to
document what I did and post my kernel config file to the ThinkPad wiki
as soon as I find time.

For anyone who wants a copy of my kernel config file that is based on
Michael's one in the mean time please just drop me a note.

Regards,