[ltp] Noisy fan on T42

Noah Dain linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 12 Mar 2005 21:32:43 -0500

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 17:41:53 +0100, Michele Lamarca <lammic@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 11:07:12 -0500, Alexandru D. Salcianu
> <salcianu@mit.edu> wrote:
> > So, nothing about CPU, GPU, frequency scaling, etc.  I don't think
> > it's relevant for the fan noise problem, but I'll give it a try this
> > evening.
>
> Laptop mode spins up the hd only when necessary. If you're doing (for
> example) text processing on a few files, your hd will be almost off.
> This causes longer battery life and also (I think) lower temperature
> of the entire system.
>
> Michele
> --

maybe not what you want to hear, but apm works great on my r40
(pentium-m, ati 7500), acpi was always iffy.  ACPI support for linux
was primarly implemented so that non-legacy machines would function
properly.  Once that was accomplished, development tailed off greatly,
so there's still much work to be done for full acpi support.  Of
course, the acpi spec is insanely huge and complex (thx, intel).

thinkpads generally come with excellent apm support.  Mine suspends to
ram and disk, cpu throttles, video throttles, fan throttles, all
yeilding great battery life.  It just works.  If you were running a
laptop from a different manufacturer, you'd probably be stuck having
to use acpi, but not so with thinkpads.

just an idea,
-noah

--