[ltp] Gentoo on 750P

/dev/rob0 linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 13 Mar 2005 12:27:11 -0600

On Sunday 13 March 2005 11:34, Chris Schumann wrote:
> The machine has a 33MHz 486, 36MB RAM and a 12GB 4200RPM disk.
> [snip]
> Any guesses as to how long emerge system will take? As a hint,

I would be more interested in the answer to this: "Why would you want
to?" I don't understand. Once I downloaded an ISO image (Slackware 8.0)
over 28.8KB/s dialup. Between the need to use the phone for voice and
the need to use the Internet for other things, it took a week. The
image failed md5sum check, but it DID boot and install. Huzzah. I'll
never do it again, but I can say that I've done it. :)

If you want this machine to be useful, why not use Slackware or Debian?
Or it you're really hooked on Gentoo, can't you use binary packages?
Life's too short for "emerge system" on a 486. :)
    or "not-spam" is in Subject: header