[ltp] USB died on my T42p

Jon Savage linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 19 Mar 2005 17:16:35 -0800

> Before I start fighting the battle with IBM, I would like to know if
> there are any diagnostics that would nail it down as a hardware
> problem (or not)?
My usual hardware vs. software troubleshooting tool is Knoppix-
assuming that the system incl. USB was happy w/ Knoppix in the past
then if it does not see USB devces now then the proplem is likely
hardware related. That being said if USB suddenly stopped working
across multiple linux  installs & WinXP then it seems likely that the
problem is hardware related.

Bests,
Jon (who once spent fartoomanyhours(tm) troubleshooting a customer's
machine only to find that the end user had installed some
(experiental) USB 2.0 drivers on XP. Suffice to say all was well w/
Knoppix and reinstalling windows resolved the issue).