[ltp] Scared about BIOS update

Ingo van Lil linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 22 Mar 2005 01:40:21 +0100

On 21 Mar 2005, Sean Dague wrote:

> While I know the thread got resolved, for future reference check out the
> following: http://www.thinkwiki.org/BIOS_Upgrade.  I vastly updated it after
> going through exactly this process about 2 weeks ago.

No no, the thread was not resolved. As I described I was able to boot
into the update utility, but failed to perform the update.
Thanks to your ThinkWiki page I now learned that

1) The Windows version of the update tool can be easily extracted with
   cabextract and my ugly dosemu hack (creating an empty 1.4 MB file and
   using that as floppy device) wasn't required at all in order to get
   the bootable image and
2) Using memdisk isn't such a great idea as it seems.

After creating bootable CDs for the two update tools everything worked
just fine. Thanks a lot.

        Cheers,
            Ingo