[ltp] Scared about BIOS update

Ignacio Fernández Galván linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 22 Mar 2005 09:55:48 +0100

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 11:20:21 +0100, Bob Alexander <bob@ngi.it> wrote:

> Upgrading your BIOS when needed is an harmless procedure that if
> observed with a little attention (dl the correct image and follow ALL
> instructions) is very simple.

Well, maybe an upgrade wasn't really needed, but the fact is it didn't
work even with the windows tool, it got stuck before the reboot... Maybe
some day I'll try a different approach, after making lots of backups ;)

> That said your boot setup has nothing to do with BIOS. You would greatly
> simplify your life if you installed GRUB (or LILO) to your /dev/hda
> master boot and let it handle the situation.

Hmmm... And who's in charge of booting from the partition marked as
active, the MBR? Why does it find "No OS" when I mark hda3 as active but
boots without any problem when I copy the hda3 boot sector to the windows
boot loader?

After choosing "Linux" in the windows menu, I get the Grub menu, where I
can choose the kernel I want or even go back to the first menu. But what I
would really like is just getting Grub installed in hda3, without touching
the MBR, so I could go back to the "factory setting" by changing the
active partition again.

Also, I have the "problem" of the "Access IBM" key at boot time and
exiting the BIOS setup, which leave the computer in an eternal loop state,
and I'm afraid it was the "failed" BIOS update who did that...

Thank you all for your discussions