[ltp] still having problems with memory upgrade on X20

Stefan Blum linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 22 Mar 2005 06:53:33 +0100

Hi,
I have already posted part of this problem a few weeks ago, but things have /
or in fact haven't changed and no improvement so far...
Upgrading my X20 with standard Kingston 256mb did not work, it detected only
part of the memory.
I then bought memory that seemed to be out of the ibm-options program, since
it had the right parts-number on it (33L3069) - thats according to
ibm-hotline.
I installed it, and the notebook just beeped four times (which according to
the hotline it shouldn't, no ibm was supposed to beep 4 times :) ).
Anyway, after taking the module out and reinserting it a few times the it was
recognized, a test with memtest+ (30+ min) showed no problems, but when I
booted into linux, after 10 minutes the machine went dead... After that, the
module was not recognized anymore, sometimes with the beeps, sometimes
without.
I managed to get a replacement module from the dealer, same parts number,
inserted it and it worked off the spot, including one reboot, for roughly 36
hours straight. When I shut the notebook down yesterday morning and took it
to work with me, it wouldn't boot up again - this time no sound at all, just
a blank screen!

Whats really strange is that the 128mb module that was shipped with the
notebook works like a charm, no problems at all!!! (the X20 has 64mb built
in, and one additional slot for upgrades to 320mb max.)

I found a hint on google that someone had problems with an X20/21 that "kept
frying memory"... Did anybody have similar problems? If thats the case I'd
have to return the X20 to my dealer, no use when you can't upgrade properly
with certified options...

Thanks (again) for your answers!

Cheers, Stefan