[ltp] Building kernel for 750P

Christopher Sawtell linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 23 Mar 2005 23:00:36 +1200

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 22:12, Meidinger Chris wrote:
> > Should I try enabling PCI? (And have the kernel build take 20 hours)
Does the lspci utility show anything?
If not, then no.

> > Should I hack more source? (And still maybe not have a
> > booting machine)
>
> You should compile the kernel an another machine. (Seriously!) There's no
> reason you can't use your config on a machine that can compile more than
> one kernel a day and then copy the bzImage to your 750.
>
> If you somehow absolutely don't have another machine, then forget gentoo on
> that brick and try a binary distribution. Otherwise you will never be happy
> (ever again).

Would getting a few instances of the distcc daemon running on helpful machines
be a bit too like using a helicopter to climb the mountain?

If not, I suspect that you would be able to find a few folks on the 'Net who
see the point of the exercise and would be prepared to help you out with a
CPU cycle or three.

Pop into one of the #gentoo channels on Freenode and ask.

> Don't shoot the messenger ...
Indeed!

You might care to look at:-
http://peipa.essex.ac.uk/tp-linux/