[ltp] Lightening Debian

jeff linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 2 May 2005 19:21:08 -0400

On Monday 02 May 2005 7:29, cr wrote:
> I've just installed Debian Sarge on my  Thinkpad i1200 (550MHz, 64MB RAM)
> and it's very overloaded in X with Metacity as the default window manager,
> it just about grinds to a halt.

Add more RAM, at least to 128MB. That will help immensely. I fought the same
problem with my 600 until I added more RAM. Going from 64MB to 128MB is a big
performance boost. From 128MB up, the gains become smaller as more RAM is
added.

Have you tried IceWM? I ran that before I added more memory. Performance is
pretty good on low memory hardware. Forget about OpenOffice with 64MB, unless
you want to kill some time. It is just too slow to be useful with less than
~96MB. Pre-linking OOo helps if you need it though.

Jeff