[ltp] X40, IBM's Rescue and Restore and preparation for installing Linux

Paul Kaplan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 5 May 2005 05:12:27 -0400

On Wednesday 04 May 2005 09:26 pm, Tony wrote:
> O.K. I have taken the dive.  I am (hopefully) replacing my iBook (dual
> booted with Ubuntu PPC) with an IBM X40.
>
> I have just got my new X40 delivered today.  WOW is it small and lite!
>  I am impressed.  If I can get Ubuntu running well on this puppy, I am
> going to be a happy camper.
>
> I got a good deal on it also, if anyone is interested email me for
> details.  IBM Model 2371A9U list for $1829, got it on ebay for ~$1199
> plus S&H.
>
> http://www-131.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=8
>770685&storeId=10000001&langId=-1&categoryId=2059153&dualCurrId=1000073&cata
>logId=-840
>
> I would like to create a restore disk before continuing to wipe off
> windows and install Linux, in case I have any unexpected problems I
> might need to reinstall XP.  I have not figured out yet how to create
> the recovery discs from the information on the IBM website other than
> I should be able to do so.  From the following page it states: "A set
> of recovery CDs can be created in the IBM Rescue and Recovery (R&R)
> predesktop area."  Also, I am using an old usb Iomega Zip 650 CD
> burner and I am not sure it is supported to do this.
>
> I am considering buying a second internal hard drive, since they are
> so easy to remove and install and leave the original one alone.
>
> I would assume that IBM's (R&R) features are not included in a
> reinstall from a recovery disc?  (Certainly not from a MS-XP
> installation disk?)  Is IBM's R&R features kept in a separate
> partition on the hard drive?  Can I install Linux (replacing Windows)
> without touching the R&R partition and still use the R&R in the future
> if necessary?
>
> Any information on this would be helpful.
>
> Tony

If you want to reclaim the recovery disk partition (it was about 3Gb on my
machine and you don't have an XP install CD rom IBM (it's been a mixed bag on
this list w/ respect to whether IBM will send them to you) you can make your
own XP installation disk from an installed version of XP.  Because of the
activation code issue, you will only be able to reinstall on the same machine
(and presumably a second hard drive for the same machine).

Instructions are at:
http://www.4saad.com/WhatsNew/Fresh_XP_Install/index.htm
Paul