[ltp] Lightening Debian

km linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 6 May 2005 00:47:25 +0200

On 05/05, cr wrote:
> On Wed, 04 May 2005 03:55, Hugo Santiago Carrer wrote:
>

> > I have sarge running on a K6II with 64MB (Toshiba satellite), no
> > graphical login at all, just startx with windowmaker. It runs quite
> > nice, I can run abiword, firefox, evolution, etc of course some times
> > there is some swaping involved but it is perfectly usable.
> >
> > For sure adding more RAm is the way to go. At least it will be faster
> > than installing gentoo and wait for X to finish compiling ;-) (just
> > kiddin).
> >
> > Hugo
>
> Thanks!   Nice to know it can be done in 64MB, and works.
>
> cr
> --

I would recommend golem as window manager. I used to run fluxbox on my
old t23 but I still didnt think that it was snappy enough for my taste
on a p3-1000 with 128mb.

Golem might be a little barebone for some, but it has what I need (alt-a
for aterm, alt-f for firefox). :)
You will also get much better-looking windows with real pixmap borders!

-km