[ltp] Lightening Debian - update

cr linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 9 May 2005 09:48:38 +1200

Just to update the discussion, and many thanks for all wo commented so far -
I'm most of the way to getting X running successfully under Debian Sarge on
my  64MB-RAM  Thinkpad.

I'm using Windowmaker, I got rid of Gnome-session as suggested.
Fluxbox, which comes as an option in the Debian Sarge install CD's, seems to
work just as well, in fact I can switch from Wmaker to Fluxbox and back using
the menu options.

And it's a matter of choosing apps which aren't too heavy.
The browsers (Mozilla, Firefox) seem to work OK offline at least, and Opera
7.21 is lighter.   GQview works, Gimp works;    Synaptic works  (though
Kpackage seems too heavy), Bluefish works (Quanta seems too heavy), Gnumeric
works.
rxvt is much lighter than the default Gnome or KDE terminals, and  mc
(running in a terminal window) is very light.

What I haven't managed to do yet is get on-line with my Xircom PCMCIA modem.
It works fine with  Windoze98 (I reluctantly have to admit :)
Under Woody,   Kppp worked a couple of times, and when did dial it stayed on
line rock-steady; but usually I just get garbage characters coming back in
the dialler log.   Under Sarge,  Kppp  says 'modem busy'  (I know it isn't!),
and pppd just produces the same garbage characters.

Which makes me wonder, is the on-board modem interfering, and if so, how do I
turn it off?   IBM's BIOS setup isn't any help.

cr