Xircom modem woes (was:Re: [ltp] Lightening Debian - update)

cr linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 13 May 2005 08:10:13 +1200

On Tue, 10 May 2005 23:03, Christopher Sawtell wrote:
> On Wed, 11 May 2005 09:28, cr wrote:
> > On Mon, 09 May 2005 22:45, Martin Samuelsson wrote:
> > > cr @ 2005-05-09 (Monday), 09:48 (+1200)

> > > If only trying to use it with kppp, my guess is that you would be
> > > better off testing using a serial terminal software against the modem
> > > and see if it reacts to Hayes commands. Without any doubt, minicom is
> > > the package to install.
> >
> > Tried Minicom.   Modem gives no reaction at all.
> > With KPPP (which has a mini-terminal), the terminal won't start up, KPPP
> > just reports 'Modem busy'.    But it most certainly isn't busy.
> >
> > It isn't a modem card fault, since it works fine when I swap my Win98
> > hard drive back in and boot that.
>
> You may have to set up the serial port for it to work.
> the commands
> stty /dev/<modem-device>
> and
> setserial /dev/<modem-device>
> are the ones to use, particularly the latter.
>
> man stty and man setserial are your friends.

Yes.  Thanks!

The answer was actually very simple - 'setserial <port>'   found a  16550A
UART on /dev/ttyS3    and nothing on ttyS0, 1 or 2.

Why the modem's on ttyS3 I have no idea, but as soon as changed  KPPP to that
setting, it worked.

> > Previously, it was giving a response to KPPP, albeit a very slow one, but
> > I think I may have screwed something by pulling the modem card out at the
> > wrong time or something of the sort.   And now KPPP just says 'modem
> > busy'.   I'm wondering if it's left a corrupted file or a lock file or
> > similar in  pppd.
>
> That could well be the case.
> Have a look in the lock files directory with the command:-
> # ls -lRa /var/lock/
>
> If there is a spurious lock file just delete it, and try again.

I looked but there wasn't.   Quite why  KPPP  ever  half-worked when set to
the wrong port  (ttyS1)  I have no idea.

Anyway, it's working now - many thanks for the advice.

cr