[ltp] Mapping forward/back buttons to key combo

Matt Graham linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 17 May 2005 16:38:18 -0400

On Tuesday 17 May 2005 16:07, after a long battle with technology, Steve
Krulewitz wrote:
> I would like to map the forward and back keys near the cursor keys to
> ctrl+pageup and ctrl+pagedown to let me do tab switching in several
> applications.  I've realized I can't do this with xmodmap -- what
> else can I use?

Which model# of Thinkpad is this?  That info may not be particularly
relevant to this question, but it's always a good idea to provide that
info just in case.

If the keys generate X events (use xev to check whether they generate
keycodes or not), use xbindkeys combined with xmacroplay.  If the keys
don't generate X events but are recognized with tpb, use tpb combined
with xmacroplay.  http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search ,
comp.os.linux.x , keywords "xbindkeys xmacroplay" for using those 2
utilities.  If they don't generate X events or tpb events, it gets
complicated.  HTH,

--
   Something unpleasant is coming when men are anxious to tell the
   truth.   --Benjamin Disraeli