[ltp] Netgear FA511 trouble

Mike Kershaw linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 24 May 2005 11:12:14 -0400

--k+w/mQv8wyuph6w0

> Err? The module is found, so it has to be there. The failure is printed b=
ecause the module (which is there) cannot be successfully loaded. A quick g=
oogling found out, that i82365 is the controller of the PCMCIA bridge. As y=
ou have already loaded the yenta drivers I suppose you don't need to load t=
his one. But on the other hand, I've never used a PCMCIA card up to now. :-)
>=20
> But the problem is definitely not the module not being there, but somethi=
ng else.

i82365 is for pcmcia bridges, yes, however you almost certianly have a
cardbus bridge -- these are almost always controlled by the yenta_socket
driver.

Your system is probably misconfigured to load the i82365 instead of
yenta_socket, and you don't have anything 82365 can handle.

Once you get the bridge working, there are a few other things to keep in
mind:

In general you'll want pcmcia-cs and hotplug, to handle both pcmcia
cards and cardbus cards.  Hotplugd should be running, if you want to
autoload drivers for cardbus devices.

Think of it as pcmcia =3D=3D ISA, and carbus =3D=3D PCI.

Once inserted, a cardbus card will show up in ``lspci'', and uses the
standard pci drivers.  A pcmcia card will show up in ``cardctl ident''
and uses the *_cs drivers.

Hope that helps,

-m

--=20