[ltp] Is my T23 thinkpad hard drive failing?

Charles E Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 30 May 2005 15:23:31 -0400

On Mon, 30 May 2005 20:57:43 +0300
Martin Fluch <martin.fluch@gmail.com> wrote:

> Have a look at the Hardware Maintenance Manual for the T2x series
> which IBM provides:

> http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-4UYM3F

> This gives a detailed instruction to replace nearly everything in your
> T23. And replacing the hard drive is one of the most easiest task

I'd second that.  A drive replacement in most Thinkpads is extremely easy.
 Even if you DIDN'T have access to IBM's excellent documentation, you
could figure out how to replace a hard drive on almost any Thinkpad model
I've seen.  Just remember to keep the hard drive caddy when you remove the
old drive.  You will need it to put on the new drive.  In most situation,
this just involves removing a few screws and replacing them.

Even if the drive's not failing, you can probably buy a
faster/quieter/higher capacity drive than the one that originally came in
your T23.  Upgrading to a faster drive in my wife's X20 made it feel like
a new laptop.

By comparison, I have no idea how I'm supposed to replace the hard drive
on my JVC mininote.  So far, I haven't namaged to even get the case open.
:)

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek@mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry instructor / Mad scientist / Linux enthusiast!
*  Web: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/