[ltp] Is my T23 thinkpad hard drive failing?

Cheryl Homiak linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 30 May 2005 15:05:56 -0500

Well, it may be something on my gentoo system--not sure whether that
makes me feel better or worse. I forced a check on reboot with tune2fs
but after that theproblem seemed even worse; I could hardly do anything
without messages about the ext3 journal aborting or I/O error or both.
So I stuck in my Knoppix cd and rebooted and ran e2fsck on the relevant
devices with knoppix running. Rebooted to my system and haven't had an
error or grinding noise yet. Of course it's only been fifteen minutes
but the noise and errors were coming pretty much as soon as I tried to
do something before. So if this continues and i don't track down the
problem, I could be looking at a reinstall. Either way, I may consider
getting a new hard drive; whatever the problem is I seem to have averted
immediate disaster.

Thanks for the tip about the maintenance guide!!!

--
Cheryl

"Where your treasure is,
there will your heart be also."