[ltp] mouse visibility on big screens.

Matt Graham linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 31 May 2005 09:56:47 -0400

On Monday 30 May 2005 22:52, after a long battle with technology, David
A. Desrosiers wrote:
> > there's nothing better then having 2 x 19' monitors at the control
> > of a single mouse.
> 19 -foot- monitors? Are you sure you didn't mean 19"? =)

Spinal Tap called; they want to know if you've seen their
Stonehenge. :-)

>>problem is I find it difficult to locate the mouse pointer itself on
>>these screens. is there a way, we could set up a mouse-trial (like
>>I've seen in windows).

A mouse trial?  "Did you, /dev/psaux , at or near time_t 1117546972 ,
send bad packets to the kernel mouse driver?"  If you meant "mouse
trail", then I'm not sure there's a way to do that exact thing right
now.  Similar things exist; the KDE "bouncing $PROGRAM icon that
follows cursor when you start $PROGRAM" shows that it's at least
possible.

>>or maybe there are better options?

Using a different cursor theme may help.  That's KDE Control Center->
Peripherals->Mouse->Cursor Theme in KDE 3.3; not sure what it is in
GNOME.  Or, search freshmeat.net for "cursor"; there are a few apps
listed there which may help.  "Gnoguin" has a small animated penguin
following the mouse cursor, which should help.

Or if you want to do some programming, look at how gnoguin does its
thing and modify it so that if you press a special key combination, the
area around the cursor turns bright yellow and flashes.  That might be
useful for a lot of people, actually--I sometimes lose track of the
mouse pointer on my 1600x1200 LCD.

--
 As a dog stood outside the gate of a temple, the Buddha called to him,
 "Dog, why do you not enter?" The dog looked back and replied, "I do not