[ltp] Re: External TFT with higher resolution on a IBM T40

Paul Kaplan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:24:48 -0500

--Boundary-00=_w5ccDnmSMuej5Od

On Tuesday 08 November 2005 09:17 pm, Ben Plaut wrote:
> (T40 2373 w/ 14" 1024x768 on Radeon 7500 16mb | Ubuntu Breezy)
>
> i've got a similar dillema...
> When i use the laptop, it is either with the dock & moniter, or on its own
> - never hotplugging, and only one screen at once. I also would like to get
> 1280x1024 when docked, but 1024x768 when undocked... and i'm a bit confus=
ed
> with what has been said here. It seems that i can reconfigure Xorg when
> docked to get full res, but would i have to reconfigure every time i turn=
ed
> on my computer?
>
> Help would be appreciated,
> -Ben
>
> On 11/4/05, Ulrich M=F6hrke <ulrich.moehrke@gmx.de> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Konstantin Filtschew wrote:
> > > hi,
> > >
> > > the restart is not a problem for me, I need a config-file or an examp=
le
> > > how to run x only on the external TFT.
> > > I've tried to setup, but it doesn't work :(
> >
> > I had the same problem with a T22. For me the solution has been the
> > following.
> > Config for external display. Choose the display with function keys Fn-F7
> > before X is started. If only external display has been chosen, the
> > resolution is good for this one. If ointernal display or both are chose=
n,
> > the resolution is good for the internal display. If the T40 has function
> > keys like this.
> > If you forgot to choose only external display, you have to restart X
> > (Ctrl-Alt-Backspace).
> >
> > Ulli
> >

> > --
>
> --
> Ben Plaut
> bplaut@gmail.com
I've found that this xorg.conf file allows 1024x768 on the internal monitor=
=20
when nothing external is attached and either a single virtual desktop=20
comprising both monitors (Xinerama=3Dyes) or two independent, but adjacent=
=20
desktops (Xinerama=3Dno).  It works on a T40 (radeon M7) running XFree86 4.=
2,=20
4.3 and Xorg 6.7 and 6.8.
Paul

--Boundary-00=_w5ccDnmSMuej5Od

#Dual headed XF86Config for IBM Thinkpad T40-257551U
#Radeon M7 7500
#Works for XFree 4.3, X.org 6.7 and 6.8
#Rename file as necessary for distribution
#originally from Diego Zamboni / linux-thinkpad list

#Section "ServerLayout"
#        Identifier     "Default Layout"
#	Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
#	InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
#	InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
#	InputDevice    "DevInputMice" "AlwaysCore"
#EndSection

#Section "ServerLayout"
#        Identifier     "Singlehead"
#	Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
#        Screen         "Screen0"
#        Screen         "Screen1" RightOf "Screen0"
#	InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
#	InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
#	InputDevice    "DevInputMice" "AlwaysCore"
#EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier     "Multihead"
#	Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        Screen         "Screen0"
        Screen         "Screen1" RightOf "Screen0"
	Option         "Xinerama" "true"
	InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
	InputDevice    "DevInputMice" "AlwaysCore"
EndSection

Section "Files"
    # Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
    # By default, Mandrake 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of
    # the X server to render fonts.
    FontPath "unix/:-1"
EndSection

Section "Module"
	Load  "dbe"
	Load  "extmod"
	Load  "fbdevhw"
	Load  "glx"
	Load  "record"
	Load  "freetype"
	Load  "type1"
#	Load  "dri"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Keyboard0"
	Driver      "keyboard"
	Option	    "XkbRules" "xfree86"
	Option	    "XkbModel" "pc105"
	Option	    "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Mouse0"
	Driver      "mouse"
	Option	    "Protocol" "PS/2"
	Option	    "Device" "/dev/psaux"
	Option	    "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
	Option	    "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# If the normal CorePointer mouse is not a USB mouse then
# this input device can be used in AlwaysCore mode to let you
# also use USB mice at the same time.
	Identifier  "DevInputMice"
	Driver      "mouse"
	Option	    "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
	Option	    "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
	Option	    "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
	Option	    "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "Monitor0"
	VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
	ModelName    "Unprobed Monitor"
#	HorizSync    31.5 - 48.5
#	VertRefresh  40.0 - 70.0
	Option	    "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "Monitor1"
	VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
	ModelName    "Unprobed Monitor"
#	HorizSync    31.5 - 67.0
#	VertRefresh  50.0 - 75.0
	Option	    "dpms"
#        Modeline     "1280x1024" 135.00 1280 1308 1412 1676 1024 1027 1030 1056
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier  "Videocard0"
	Driver      "radeon"
	VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
	BoardName   "ATI Radeon Mobility M7"
#	VideoRam    32768
        Screen      0
        BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier  "Videocard1"
	Driver      "radeon"
	VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
	BoardName   "ATI Radeon Mobility M7"
#	VideoRam    32768
        Screen      1
        BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
#       This is the internal LCD display
	Identifier "Screen0"
	Device     "Videocard0"
	Monitor    "Monitor0"
	DefaultDepth     24
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth     24
		Modes    "1024x768" "800x600"
	EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
#       This is an external monitor running 1280x1024
	Identifier "Screen1"
	Device     "Videocard1"
	Monitor    "Monitor1"
	DefaultDepth     24