[ltp] Power consumption graphics drivers

Matthias Redlich linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 19 Nov 2005 02:03:47 +0100

Hello,

I am trying to optimize the power consumption of my new ThinkPad R52
with a ATI Mobility Radeon X300 at the moment so that I am able to use
it with the battery as long as possible. I do not need 3D acceleration
and such things - a low power consumption is more important to me.

I can choose between three drivers:
- the radeon driver included in xorg
- the proprietary ATI driver called fglrx
(By the way, does the automatic LCD detection of fglrx work properly?)
- the open source driver R300 (in development)

I know that you can optimize the settings with DynamicClocks or ATI's
PowerPLAY. But which driver enables me to get the lowest consumption
and thereby the longest battery lifetime? Is there a comparison
available?

Thanks in advance,

Matthias