[ltp] Re: When/where/what for low power consumption?

Felix E. Klee linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 20 Nov 2005 09:43:32 +0100

Andreas Seltenreich wrote:
> IMHO a very elegant solution is to nice(1) those apps.

Interesting, but I'm not sure if it really works since nice only lowers
the priority and not necessarily the processing power, at least that's
how I understand it works (as you can see I'm not a frequent user of nice).

> cpufreq/powernowd/the on_demand governor/etc ignore processes which
> are niced above 0, so it won't increase frequency nor voltage when
> e.g. a wannabe-webmaster thought endless-looping in JavaScript is good
> engineering.

But sometimes one wants to give the web browser full resources and full
priority, for example when looking at a new Thinkpad using the Java 3D
applet on the IBM/Lenovo site. :-)

For me it seems to be much simple to just make sure that the system is
in power savings mode (low CPU freq, dim display, etc.) when running on
batteries.

--
Felix E. Klee