[ltp] fglrx driver and agpgart

Matthias Redlich linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 24 Nov 2005 15:06:53 +0100 (MET)

Hello,

I have an IBM ThinkPad R52 with an ATI Mobility Radeon X300 video card (PCI
Express). I have just compiled a new kernel without AGP support (agpgart
disabled). Trying to load the fglrx module fails with "Unknown symbol"
(symbols like agp_free_memory). I think that is logical because AGP support
is missing so these functions are not defined in my kernel. But there are
some things I do not understand:

1) ATI recommends to completely disable the kernel's internal AGP support.
("In order to use the fglrx internal AGP support, you have to make sure that
the kernel agpgart support is not active, i.e. it is not compiled into the
kernel and the kernel modules are not loaded. If the fglrx kernel module
detects that the kernel agpgart support is active, it will automatically use
that even if its internal AGP support is requested in order to avoid
conflicts that can cause problems under some circumstances."). Is this right
and should AGP support be disabled in the kernel? If so, why do I get these
"unknown symbols"? Am I wrong and has this problem nothing to do with my
current kernel configuration?

2) Why does the fglrx driver need those agp-functions? Are PCI Express cards
recognized as AGP cards or are they handled the same way so AGP support is
required?

3) Is the fglrx kernel module needed for AGP cards only? If so, can I ignore
the fglrx modules with my PCI Express card and just apply my xorg.conf?

4) How can I resolve the problem?

Sorry for all these questions. I think some of them are quite stupid but I
did not find a good documentation for the fglrx driver.

Thanks in advance
Matthias

--
Highspeed-Freiheit. Bei GMX supergünstig, z.B. GMX DSL_Cityflat,
DSL-Flatrate für nur 4,99 Euro/Monat*  http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl