[ltp] Problem with T43p and Xorg: hard freeze :-(

Reynald Borer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 28 Nov 2005 17:08:57 +0100

Brian D. Ropers-Huilman wrote:

>Reynald Borer said the following on 2005-11-28 09:25:
>

>>Hi guys,
>>
>>Recently I bought a brand new T43p 15", and I'm experiencing some hard
>>freezes with Xorg when using the radeon driver.
>>
>>My distribution is Gentoo Linux, and I'm currently using the VESA driver
>>on Xorg 6.8.2 but it's really slow for videos...
>>

>Have you tried the radeon driver?

My problem is happening with the radeon driver, that's why for now I'm
using the VESA driver (because it works).

>>Any hints on this problem ? I've already tried "DynamicClocks Off" in my
>>xorg.conf but it does not help. I'm also not able to use ATI binary
>>driver because my Xorg is compiled with dloader (if you know gentoo then
>>you'll know what I'm talking about).
>>

>I'm a Gentoo user (2.5 years) and don't know what your talking about, though
>perhaps I should. :) Can you explain?

dlloader is a use flag for Xorg ebuild that activate the new way Xorg
handle dynamic modules loading. I'm using it because without it the X
server won't start on my machine, and enabling this use flag for the
compilation was a solution I found in the gentoo forums. It seems to be
the new and preferred way to handle module inside Xorg, but it's by
default not activated because of some remaining bugs in circular
dependencies (those bugs are slowly beeing resolved, of course ;-)  ).

--
Reynald Borer < reynald@borer.name >
http://www.borer.name/reynald/