[ltp] T43 BIOS admin password retry count

Tue, 29 Nov 2005 21:28:50 -0200

Well, I went and did the second most stupid thing I could, and forgot
the BIOS admin password for my still quite new T43.

The machine is usable without any problem, as I didn't forget any of the
other passwords, but I am wary of trying BIOS upgrades without the admin
password, and I might need to change something in the BIOS someday,
anyway.

I probably can recall the password, given enough tries (a damn big bunch
of them :( ), though.  Is there some sort of maximum limit on the number
of tries one can attempt at the BIOS admin password before the TPM chip
locks the machine down or somesuch?

There is a "reset TPM maximum password failed count" option in the
Windows ThinkPad security pannel (as usual, IBM/Lenovo screws us up
without proper Linux support for all the stuff the machine can do),
which might have something to do with it, but I think it refers to the
login attempts through the TPM-aware passhprase windows login.  Any
ideas?

And yes, I am aware I can force the password out of the Atmel i2c
eeprom. But I don't want to lose 2 years of warranty, nor I want to risk
damaging the T43 trying to solder wires to a surface-mount chip if I can
help it.
  Henrique Holschuh