[ltp] IBM Recovery CDs, partitions

Aaron Mulder linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 30 Sep 2005 23:30:39 -0400

On 9/30/05, Bill Sheppard <Bill.Sheppard@sun.com> wrote:
> I ordered the recovery disks today, just to have them, and the customer
> service rep warned me that (at least on my T42) they will wipe the whole
> disk to install the recovery partition, although when installing from
> the recovery partition it will respect other partitions.  So in this
> case you'd want to restore the recovery partition, then install Linux.
> Of course, it appears that's what hoses the recovery partition, unless
> you use NTLDR instead of Grub.

That sucks -- the T40/T41 rescue CDs would just install to the hard
drive, and not bother recreating the rescue partition.  They would
just delete the first partition and then install to the first block of
free space on the disk (usually whatever the first partition was,
joined up with any immediately surrounding free space).

I bet if you could get T40/T41 CDs they'd work OK on the T42 and then
you could just update all the drivers and software.  :)

Aaron