[ltp] [x31] extremely slow booting when usb key inserted

Mack Stevenson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 01 Oct 2005 22:23:53 +0200

Howdy everyone,

I have noticed that ever since I enabled the "USB Boot" option in my X31's
BIOS the boot process becomes very slow (eg, 1min30 just to get past the
initial IBM splash screen) whenever I have a USB key inserted into my
thinkpad.

Does fellow thinkpad user also experience this problem? I can boot a linux
distribution installed on the key without any trouble, but (and this is true
no matter what is stored in the usb key drive) just having it plugged in at
boot time makes booting very slow. (Disabling the USB boot option makes this
problem go away, but the trouble is that now I actually need to boot from a
usb drive a few times a week...)

Is this a problem with my machine? I have updated to the latest
BIOS/embedded controller versions to no avail...

Thanks for any tip!

Mack Stevenson