[ltp] Re: I bought the R52 !!!

Bret Comstock Waldow linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 8 Oct 2005 14:42:29 +1300

--nextPart1311583.n0EuX8JlJW

On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 22:18, km wrote:

> If you want to use Linux, you have to learn c and start to write your own
> programs! Wow, thats a competitive edge no other OS in 2005 has!
>
> The guy just stated that he had no programming experience and that he
> could help out with other things.

Let's see...

The fellow wrote (in part):
"I am a radio amateur, so called a HAM."

That means he does this as a hobby.

And he doesn't like that other people aren't giving him what he likes.

Now, why might that be?  We have to speculate...

1) Maybe the author has a job, and has to spend her/his time working instea=
d=20
of doing things for free.

2) Maybe the author has a family, and is devoting her/his time to family=20
instead of giving this fellow what he thinks he needs to "beat Windows".

3) I know!  The author has taken up HAM Radio, and is happy with her/his ne=
w=20
hobby, so is not available to give this fellow what he needs to "beat=20
Windows".

So the author should give up her/his job/life/hobby to do the work instead =
for=20
this fellow?

Now, tell me why this fellow shouldn't instead give up HIS hobby (HAM Radio=
)=20
and become a developer?

Your position is indefensible.  Did you think about it before you replied?

I am a Professional Software Quality Assurance Analyst myself, with jobs at=
=20
Autodesk, IBM, and contracts with AltaVista, PacBell, Peregine systems, and=
=20
more.  Software Quality Assurance is primarily about setting up the system =
so=20
people don't get away with pretending.  (No, it's not about testing, althou=
gh=20
that's a tool we use for checking against reality.)

And it's no one's responsibility to do this fellow's work for him.  He can=
=20
ask.  He can start a project.  He can help someone else that is doing a=20
project he supports.

But complaining that "Windows is better!" is an attempt to use shame to coe=
rce=20
other people into doing work he wants, but isn't willing to give up his own=
=20
precious hobby to do.

His own precious *hobby*.

And that's not ok from my viewpoint, and I am happy to point it out.

The link here is that Linux is Free Software (GPL), and Free Software is ab=
out=20
increasing the body of knowledge (primarily, but not entirely, code) that=20
can't be taken away from people by legal means.  It's not about "beating=20
Windows", although anyone is welcome themselves to take that on - I'll=20
certainly do what I can to shut down Microsoft - they are convicted cheats.

And it's not about getting free work or free stuff out of other people.  If=
=20
you want it, grab an oar.

Cheers,
Bret