[ltp] Re: Firmware Upgrade/Region Set on UJ-812 DVD burner from Linux

Gijs Hillenius linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 10 Oct 2005 16:53:55 +0200

      > And a related question--has anyone figured out how to upgrade
      > the firmware without a floppy drive? Are we really expected to
      > buy a whole new peripheral just to do a firmware upgrade?  --

Here is a method. And I am quoting this entire recipy from Frank
Sorenson, who gave this method in the hdaps development list...

== begin quote

You may be able to use this process to avoid using either a floppy drive
or "the other OS":

1) Download the appropriate firmware exe from
http://www-306.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-41008
(in my case, this looks like fwhd3313.exe)

2) Find a freedos disk image (I used one that came with biosdisk -
http://linux.dell.com/biosdisk/)

3) Create a disk image for the firmware executable:
cp /usr/share/biosdisk/dosdisk.img /tmp/fwdisk1.img
mount -oloop /tmp/fwtemp.img /mnt/tmp
cp fwhd3313.exe /mnt/tmp
umount /mnt/tmp

4) Create a blank disk image for the extracted contents:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/boot/fwdisk.img bs=1474560 count=1

5) Run qemu to extract files and write the disk image:
qemu -fda /tmp/fwtemp.img -fdb /boot/fwdisk.img
A:\>fwhd3313
exit qemu

6) Set up grub to boot the new disk image (requires memdisk from
syslinux - http://syslinux.zytor.com/):
$EDITOR /boot/grub/grub.conf
title IBM Hard Drive Firmware update
        kernel /memdisk
        initrd=/fwdisk.img floppy

7) Reboot and select the "IBM Hard Drive Firmware update" option

It allowed me to run the firmware update program, however it didn't
believe my drive needed updating, so I haven't even successfully tried
the entire process.  Please let me know if it works for you.

DISCLAIMER: I also provide no guarantees.   Hopefully your hard disk
won't fly off the spindle or anything else bad.  If it does, blame
someone else.

Frank (
Frank Sorenson - KD7TZK
Systems Manager, Computer Science Department
Brigham Young University
frank at tuxrocks dot com
)

=== end quote

--
Voodoo Programming:  Things programmers do that they know shouldn't work but
they try anyway, and which sometimes actually work, such as recompiling