[ltp] how to use a japanese keyboard with us/it layout

come se fosse antani linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 11 Oct 2005 12:54:04 +0000

Hi.
I've a thinkpad x40, bought in Japan and of course equipped with a
japanese keyboard. it appears like this [1].
now I'm using an italian layout (I need some symbols used in them),
but I'm not able to insert symbols like  < or  >. I've to switch to US
layout, insert the symbol and restore the original layout.
I would like to use the "special japanese keys" (for example, the one
on the left of the spacebar and the two on the right; the key on the
left of backspace) to insert directly predefined code like < ,  > , ~
.
I've tried to use some keyboard configuration applications (found
trough debian apt), but, honestly, I can understand how configure it.

Thanks,

antani

[1] http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/kbd/jplaptop.jpg
--