[ltp] Carrying a Thinkpad in a Rucksack

Atul Chitnis linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 15 Oct 2005 22:00:47 +0530 (IST)

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005, Gurunandan R. Bhat wrote:

> 	How safe is a Thinkpad in a rucksack. I am not worried about
> mechanical shocks since my Case Logic ruckscak is much better padded than the
> original carry case. I carry my rucksack slung on a single shoulder and I was
> worried that the angle might twist the base and the lid disproportionately.
> In any case I would be reassured if there are others who do this without
> damage.

I haven't had issues with any of my TPs getting damaged by the case I was
carrying it in. I used to use the original case that came with the TP, but
these days IBM India has been shipping really cheap stuff that comes apart
at the seams within months, so I dont use that anymore. I have a decade
old Targus bag I bought for some laptop in the mid-90s, but these days I
just throw the TP into a rucksack with a few magazines to keep it from
bouncing around, and all is cool.

The one thing that does create problems is any form of dust or lint you
may have floating around in the bag - that gets into open connectors (eth,
usb, speaker, mic, etc.). A friend of mind solves that issue by using a
slip-case for the notebook (ironically one from Toshiba), but really any
kind of bag that covers the openings should do fine.

-ac