[ltp] Trackpoint: Kernel patched but files in /sys/devices/.../serio0 missing

Andreas Ntaflos linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 18 Oct 2005 03:46:23 +0200

Hello list,

I've patched the Kernel (gentoo-sources 2.6.12-r10) on my T41p with
Steven's trackpoint patch (with synaptic fix) and it seems to have
worked, dmesg|grep -i track giving me

IBM TrackPoint firmware: 0x0E
input: TrackPoint IBM TrackPoint on synaptics-pt/serio0

The trackpoint works in X and under the console so at least there's
nothing broken :) However, there are no files to control the features of
the trackpoint to be found in /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio0/:

# ls /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio0/

bind_mode  description  drvctl  power  resetafter  serio2
bus        driver       id      rate   resolution

Why are there no "press_to_select", "sensitivity", "speed" and the like?
Did I forget something? Let's see: patched the kernel, recompiled the
kernel, booted the kernel. Any configuration step I missed?

Doing

# echo -n 1 > /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio0/press_to_select

(as root) anyways gives me

bash: /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio0/press_to_select: Permission
denied

So?

Thanks in advance for any help!
--