[ltp] Damnit - Infamous partition problem!

Bill Sheppard linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 17 Oct 2005 21:08:39 -0700

Hi,

I have the infamous Windows / Linux GRUB partition incompatibility
problem after copying over to a new hard drive which results in the
following when selecting Windows to boot:

    Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x7
    chainloader +1

See http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-21509.html for one of many
threads covering this topic.  The universal fix, according to
http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2004/05/fhassel_windows_not_booting91.html,
is to activate the "LBA or large access mode" in the BIOS.  I don't see
any option similar to this in my T42, however.  Is it settable
somewhere?  Or has anyone managed to solve this problem?  I'm running
SuSE 9.3, I did the remedy mentioned in the SuSE link but it didn't work.

Thanks,

Bill

Bill Sheppard                                  Industry Marketing Manager
bill.sheppard@sun.com                   Consumer and Mobile Systems Group
(408) 404-1254 (x68154)                            Sun Microsystems, Inc.