[ltp] Seeking advice: T42p vs T43p

Thu, 20 Oct 2005 13:23:40 -0400

Hi,

I'm planning to buy a thinkpad, and I've narrowed it down to the t42p vs
t43p. I normally would just get the newest one, but it seems there are a
few issues with the t43p.

I'd like the following features:

1) suspend to ram/disk
2) vga out (I need to make presentations frequently)

It seems the t43p has some issues with (1) because of the hdd is SATA,
and linux support is somewhat broken right now. Is it possible to get
(1) and (2) without having to restart X and change the xorg.conf file?
(this is what I have to do with my toshiba now)

For what I've read, differences between the t42p and t43p are not too
big (slightly different processor speeds, etc) and that the t43p's only
big difference is the SATA vs IDE thing. I've read that SATA is better
in theory, but in practice it not a huge improvement.

Is there any good reason to get a t43p and go through all the patching
(I don't know how long it would take for those patched to make to the
main kernel tree) instead of just getting the t42p?

I really appreciate your feedback.

Carlos